Well this year was/is a disaster in terms of berry harvest so that is why you have not seen anything posted here! We got about 2 l off of over 250 plants and those were not really great berries. I think it is time to thin out the nursery and get it down to something we can manage with good netting to keep out birds and some kind of windbreak. The wind whipped the berries off of the taller older plants and the Cedar Waxwings just keep eating till there was nothing left. Even under the netting which we pulled over the rows! They would fly down to the ground and hop up into the bushes. Then if you came along they flapped about till they were on the ground and out they flew. Bah.
I did see someone on another blog talking about using the kind of row covering you would use in spring to protect the plants from frost and I think if we are here and there is opportunity to do that, we will buy some and try it.
Here is an example as sold by Lee Valley. Our problem is we have several row widths and heights to contend with but I think I would still try it!
I don't even have pictures.
Until next time.
Clayton
No comments:
Post a Comment