Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A little harvest

Well we started picking EBH on Saturday last week and so far it looks like the cold and wet is delaying ripening. Berries from Blue Velvet seedlings are very good size but are tending to be more tart than I had expected by this time. This maybe not surprising as the polyphenols and tannins are more readily expressed in cool weather. Yield is quite variable by plant but good for the year that we have had to date.
I have observed that my plants in pots are getting quite pale as the rain is washing natural nutrients out of the potting soil. Time for some fertilizer help I guess. Thanks to Daryl and my wife's Uncle for picking with me. They discovered that the Uncle knows Daryl's family and even told him which family he looked like. I thought this might happen as the Uncle has history in the Neuhorst village and area north of Saskatoon.
We will be on our own starting tomorrow as the Uncle and Aunt will leave for their son's home where a new baby girl has arrived. Trumps honeysuckle every time!
So 5 more long rows to harvest and then the Japanese seedling area should be ready in about 10 days. More to come.

No comments: