Well it is ripening season here for the Russian Honeysuckle types and boy do the Cedar Waxwings know it. And their friends the Robins are lurking about as well. I thought I would try to see if we could go without nets this year but it looks like the harvest will be meager as these birds are out there early am to late pm. They do not quit and they are so bold. I can stand a fe feet from this arch and they will fly up and complain! There are around a dozen in our yard and they are very persistent. Not sure if I will bother with netting this year now at all. No jam or jelly for us! Boo Hoo! Netting is a big job and I just do not have time for one more job this summer.
Here is a look at the two new little nurseries of 17 month old plants from last year.

Many had a couple of berries each and of course they are gone too!

Two views of nursery 1. Then the second nursery only has 36 plants and is in the old garden area.
I am always surprised at how well the little plants do once you get them in the ground.
2 comments:
Can you, perhaps, net them next year? Very disappointing!
As a matter of fact I gave in and we did run the netting over the top of the rows. I have about 800 ft. of Lee Valley deer fencing on a roll and we could just walk along and drop the net over the plants. It is not the best as they learn to crawl under the edges where it does not touch the ground!
Post a Comment