Note the growth of moss on the peat pellets. This is one of the problems of using peat under lights. There is just too much life left in some of the material. I started using plastic spoons (cheapest you can find) as they have a good space and the cupping helps to keep the water and light from fading the ink.



2 comments:
I started using plastic spoons (cheapest you can find)
I use markers cut from margarine, ice cream, or yoghurt containers. You cut the sides into 1" wide strips, then cut the strips into 2" pieces, and then cut each diagonally. I can get 60 plant markers out of a 1½ litre container of ice cream.
If I'm concerned about the writing fading, I don't make a diagonal cut. I then write the description on both ends of the marker. When the marker is pushed into the soil, one description ends up underground and not exposed to the light. It lasts a very long time without fading. We have some markers out in the garden that still have very clear writing on the underground portion while the above ground writing has been gone for at least a year.
You can see the markers here - http://portageperennials.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/hybrid-poplar-cuttings/
Thanks for dropping in. I have done the plastic container thing from time to time but I really like 3/4 inch venetian blinds the best. Plastic or metal, it really does not matter. They are easy to acquire at Thrift or Sally Ann stores. Metal does tend to rust so if I was doing a lot I might spray them with some paint but so far they have worked good. I am even using them in larger pots like 4 inch and up. markers are always an issue because you can lose a very special plant's name so easily.
Post a Comment