Sunday, January 31, 2010

Use of photos from the net!

I spend quite a bit of time searching the internet for information on the Edible blue honeysuckle and have come to know many of the sites and photos quite well. I have even been in contact with the person who has them up on a website or blog. Sadly I am beginning to see some of those photos showing up on other blogs and in reports in various Newsletters on the web. Even from a Government Department report. This is too bad as the  Photographer does not get recognition, credit, or thanks, for the use of their property but even worse is the misrepresentation of the subject matter. It is unlikely for instance that a picture from the Kitoy River area of Siberia would be "Haskap." I have as a matter of fact been in contact with this particular photographer in the past in regards to the kind of fruit he saw while on this expedition. So 2 strikes against the person who used his photo.
Others are out there and this is just not good advertising for those of us who are trying to promote the berry with integrity.

So if you like the picture and want to use it: try to contact the photographer, give credit in your use of the photo, and if you can't find the one you need there are many folks whose links or contact potential are on this blog. I do  not have pictures of Haskap but hope to have berries this year and will then.

As an aside, I  will refer you to a previous post regarding the source of many of the US registered varieties. Some of the product now being sold in Canada is from these sources but you may also find something with the Russian/European name being offered by its' original name. Just a heads up. I am sorry to say that marketing sometimes takes precedence over truth.

2 comments:

haskapdave said...

Good point Clayton.
The University of Saskatchewan - Fruit Program has published a set of Haskap pictures on Flickr.
http://www.fruit.usask.ca/haskap.html

Here's a link to the Haskap picture set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43363650@N06/sets/72157622550374474/detail/

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

thanks for the info...