The recipe for jam: Edible Blue Honeysuckle
14 cups of berries (mushed with a potato masher) as they begin to cook in an appropriate sized pot. Allow room to stir.
Add 12 cups granulated sugar. Cook at a slow rolling boil (stir often)till desired consistency. About 3/4 hour.
Put in sterile jars and seal. Yields about 11 cups of jam. Enjoy!
I also started pruning and will put up some pictures and hints in days to come. We agreed today to have some folks from the Saskatoon Perrenial Society come on a Fruit tour from Little tree Nursery on Sunday August 16 in the afternoon. We will see how that goes.

There are other berries ready or coming along as well. We have a Garrington Chokcherry which is young but quite loaded this year so I have wrapped it with deer net to see if we can get a share for a change. There are also pincherries but it is hard to say if I will beat the robins (aptly named as theydo..) and cedar waxwings are so busy. We also have a good crop of Nanking cherries and I picked a 4 liter pail of those as well today. Raspberries are also ripening but our rows are rejuvenating so the crop is small.
1 comment:
Do the honeysuckle berries have seeds that you can taste/feel when you are eating them (like raspberries) are are they just mostly juicy like blueberries? I have never tried one!
Post a Comment