The next crop of Edible Blue Honeysuckle is nearly ready to harvest. The flavor is sweetening up and most of the berries are coloring up nicely. One thing about the Japanese selections is that they tend to ripen over a longer period of time. But the fruit is more consistently larger than the Russian types which I have in another nursery and which we already harvested. It will be interesting to see what the University of Saskatchewan crop looks like as I take in Haskap Day Friday of this week. The rains over the past 10 days will certainly help to grow the berries a little larger and it certainly helps the plants.My big project will be to prune all of the plants in both nurseries down to 5 or 6 sturdy stems as I notice they are growing a lot of stems at or near the ground and this makes harvesting very hard. More pictures to follow and I will try to put up some pictures of the Haskap Day events.

No comments:
Post a Comment