Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cuttings

I have never been very good at starting cuttings of any plants. I do try to get some going from time to time but it is not my forte and the point is that since I grow many things from seed I just don't need more of anything. This year I did want to get a few extra plants of the selected EBH which I kept while clearing out about 70 seedlings last fall. Shoot cuttings of active growth were stuck into a tray with seedling potting soil and kept under a clear plastic dome. I kept it in the east window of my garage so there was morning sun bu not the heat of the afternoon. When I finally removed the cuttings the was a callus on many but no roots.
What has amazed me is that the cuttings which took had a mass of roots!

This is plant number 51. There were 5 cuttings and they all produced this great mass of roots. It is a definite winner when it comes to propagation.
I tried 2 others as well and #29 did not root at all and #11 had one poorly rooted cutting. These were all in the same tray along with several other plants like Clematis, apricot and chokecherry. Since I do not need more plants this is not a great loss but I would surely like to improve my methods.

No comments: