Monday, July 25, 2011

Last fruit of the season

When we harvested the EBH this past month there were 2 plants with Japanese source that seemed not to be all ripe so we left them till a week ago. Here are a few pictures. It was a small picking but good to get them. There were fruit on only one of my selections from last years clear out of 4 to 5 year old plants. Hopefully they will produce next year.



These 2 plants have rounder berries than do the Russian and Kuril types. One of the plants in particular could easily have been harvested by machine as the berries released very easy and did not bleed at the scar.
I did some pruning on one of the plants which I will post a picture of next week.
Season done for now. I have several lots of seed to plant and some cuttings to pot up or stick in the ground. But weeding continues for sure.

2 comments:

Jim and Bernis Ingvaldson said...

Clayton, could you tell us a bit more about the uneven ripening? Did the berries hang on fairly well until the majority were ripe? I am very curious how this selection compares with Tundra, which had 1" long berries this year on a 3rd year plant. And did you get a picture of the plant after pruning? -Bernis

Clayton said...

Thanks for the note. This plant was still ripening when I picked the last berries. However by that time they were pretty well all ripe and they did not drop easily from the plant. I did not get a picture but you have reminded me to do it! We have been so dry and so the growth really stopped this year as opposed to the much rain last year which did keep them growing longer.