Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Winter changes


Well the winter weather has brought changes as the snow melted to some extent and the Blue Honeysuckles in pots were beginning to get uncovered. So I shoveled loose snow onto the pots to try and keep the roots covered. Now there has been new snow and they are well covered. This is a very good thing since these plants could desiccate quickly or freeze out as well.




But the good news is that it is seed planting time for me as I plan this years new crop of Blue Honeysuckle Babies. The initial planting will be about 288 seeds from about 12 different groups of seed. I was very fortunate to get seeds from of the Russian and European varieties. Also collected seed from what are seeming to be the better plants in my seedling  collection. I am trying out these new domed trays from Lee Valley Tools. One of the issues with peat pellets is moss growth on the peat exposed to light so I am trying to start with low/no light other than the light from another shelf above the trays. One thing these trays have is adjustable openings on the top to vent
 

No comments: